How to Become a High-Paying Freelance Writer
If you’re just looking to make an extra 1k a month or so, you can generally do it in your spare time, before or after work, on weekends, or anytime you can squeeze it in. Work from home—or from the side of a mountain, a beach, or anywhere in the world that has decent internet. Freelance writing gives you some serious freedom that you’d be crazy not to take advantage of; that is, of course, if it’s your one-and-only gig. As a member, you won’t be personally held responsible for debts or legal liabilities that your business incurs. For example, if worse comes to worst and you end up bankrupt, you won’t lose your personal property. Working as a freelancer comes with some great advantages, but unfortunately filing taxes is not one of them.
- You may work specifically on content created in a word processor like Microsoft Word or Google Docs, or you could work within content management systems like WordPress.
- The likelihood that you’ll have to chase them down in order to complete their project orpay an invoiceisn’t very high.
- Write out your to-do lists, keep track of your deadlines, stay organized, and always try to be working ahead so you can take advantage of the freelance lifestyle .
- Long ago, Alexis Grant taught me to create a private “Notice Me” list of editors and other people you want to, well, notice you in the Twitterverse.
- LinkedIn is the hunting ground for people who are looking for writers, so be sure to set up a google alert to monitor companies, magazines, or blogs that you would like to work for.
- As a result, “participants were able to identify what it was about their mindsets and lifestyles that were triggering overeating,” Eik-Nes said.
Managing Freelance Writers
It’s impossible to know how you can boost efficiency without understanding your weaknesses. Freelance writer Rebecca Matter suggests you determine how much time you’re spending on each client, and then evaluate your hourly rate for each. “I think people resist this sometimes because they think they know where their money is coming from, but in my experience, every time you track your time you will be surprised,” she says.
- Freelance writers seldom work for just one publisher and often work for several at the same time.
- I’m going to show you how to launch your writing business, get clients online, and start making money as a successful freelance writer even if you have no experience.
- Also, read up on what we feel are the best freelance writing niches for beginners.